5 September 2016

August Favourites

I feel like the past few months have flown by and I can't believe it is already September but I am not complaining as the last four months of the year are definitely my favourite, and this year in particular I have got quite a few exciting things to look forward to throughout Autumn. Today, however, it is time for my monthly favourites, which is quite a small selection this month as I didn't really discover all that much throughout August, especially beauty wise so, without further ado, here is what I have been loving recently...

Barry M Molten Metal Nail Polish- Copper Mine
In my opinion Barry M are probably one of the best drugstore brands for nail products thanks to the huge variety of colours, finishes and formula's, all of which are of a high quality. I had been dying to try one of the Molten Metals since their release earlier this Summer and so I finally picked up the shade Copper Mine before my holiday at the start of the month and, with Barry M staying true to form, I was not disappointed. The formula itself is slightly thin however I found only two coats were needed to give an opaque look, and I found it applied very smoothly, with the wide brush making application extremely quick and easy. The overall finish is very pretty as the multi-toned shimmers give a slightly foiled, glittery metallic look and I can't wait to try out some of the other shades from the collection.
                              
La Roche Posay Anthelios XL Comfort Lotion SPF 50
I had been meaning to start using a face SPF for a while yet it was just something that I never seemed to get around to buying, however, I decided to pick this one up for my holiday last month and it instantly became a skincare staple. It is an incredibly light and moisturising lotion without being too greasy, yet it does give a slight glow to the skin, as well as offering great protection from the sun due to the SPF factor of 50. Whilst most days I applied it after my moisturiser and left it at that I also found it worked well when mixed with a little bit of foundation to give a slight hint of coverage, without being too heavy during the hotter weather. It's definitely a new skincare favourite!

Hamilton Soundtrack
As I have mentioned before on the blog I am a huge fan of musical theatre and I am constantly listening to cast recordings from various Broadway and West End shows however, despite the hype surrounding it, I only recently started listening to the Hamilton soundtrack and I now can't believe it took me so long to discover. I actually originally thought the show would be slightly too historical for me, as it is based on the life of American Founding Father Alexander Hamilton, yet after listening it is hard not to become instantly obsessed with the talent of Lin-Manuel Miranda, who uniquely combined hip-hop and pop-driven musical theatre to create what can only be described as a musical masterpiece. Whilst I love the whole album, my favourites are definitely 'My Shot', 'Guns and Ships', 'Dear Theodosia' and 'It's Quiet Uptown' and I am now desperate to get tickets for the West End show next year. 




Stranger Things
Over the last year or so I have become a lot more interested in science-fiction as a genre, and so when everyone was raving about Stranger Things a couple of months ago I knew I would have to watch it, despite the fact that I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to anything slightly scary. Centred around a group of young children trying to find their missing friend, it combines the kind of 80s vibes and nostalgia of classic films like The Goonies and ET, as well as the horror and eeriness typically found in a Stephen King or Dean Koontz novel, making it one of the best things I have watched in a long time. For me it was the kind of show that I couldn't stop thinking about, even after watching all 8 episodes, as there is such a build up of mystery and tension, as well as an amazingly talented cast, and I can't wait for season 2 next year.



Shutter Island
I love any book or film with a good twist at the end so this had been on my to-read list for a while and I finally got around to reading it whilst on holiday. It tells the story of Teddy and Chuck, two US Marshals who have been sent to investigate the disappearance of a criminally insane woman from a mental hospital on the island. It is definitely a psychological thriller, full of suspense and little twists and turns throughout which made me as a reader question every character and their motives, which further enhanced the mystery written by Lehane. The ending is exceptionally clever and something I didn't see coming at all, and I was completely gripped from start to finish!

What have you been loving lately?

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment