24 April 2016

Book Review- All The Light We Cannot See

"For Marie-Laure, blind since the age of six, the world is full of mazes. The miniature of a Paris neighbourhood, made by her father to teach her the way home. The microscopic layers within the invaluable diamond that her father guards in the Museum of Natural History. The walled city by the sea, where father and daughter take refuge when the Nazis invade Paris. And a future which draws her closer to Werner, a German orphan, destined to labour in the mines until a broken radio fills his life with possibility and brings him to the notice of the Hitler Youth."

I have to admit that I was slightly sceptical about reading this novel as I bought it as part of a deal without really thinking about it or bothering to read the blurb, so, when I eventually got around to discovering it was a story set during World War 2, I was leaning towards leaving it on the bookshelf as I thought it may be slightly too historical for my personal liking. However, as I loved war stories as a child (When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit and Friend or Foe for example), I decided to give it a go, which I am so glad about, as it is one of the best books I have read in a long time.

Shifting between 1944 and the events of the previous ten years, Anthony Doerr uses the narrative viewpoints of two children to give opposing perspectives of life during World War 2 in both Germany and France. Reading the novel from Marie-Laure's perspective was unique due to her disability, and as the story progressed to the climax of the War, I continually found myself being in awe of, and afraid for, this character. Experiencing the story from the viewpoint of Werner was also different, as I don't think I have ever read a novel told from the perspective of a member of the Hitler Youth, and so it gave a fascinating insight into how much young children were brainwashed by the Nazis during the 1930s and 40s.
 








 In my opinion, 'All The Light We Cannot See' is such a success due to the writing of Doerr and the imagery created with his language. It is such a beautifully written story that captured me as a reader and allowed me to connect with the characters on an emotional level, and I often found myself feeling the same emotions as each character at certain points throughout the book. The chapters are extremely short and succinct, yet the attention to detail and almost poetic style of writing never falters, lending itself to a real page turner of a novel. 

It is a highly intelligent and thought-provoking novel, with characters presented in such distinct detail that they can easily be imagined as real people. The weaving of themes and reflections create a truly mesmerising story that casts light on the ideas of love, morality and the ability to find light even in the most desolate of times. I honestly could not recommend this book enough, as it is a completely moving and absorbing masterpiece of literature.

Have you read this book? What did you think?

Megan




No comments:

Post a Comment