11 February 2016

Book Review- The Ice Twins


 "After one of their identical twin daughters, Lydia, dies in an accident, Angus and Sarah Moorcroft move to a remote Scottish island, hoping to mend their shattered lives. But when their surviving child, Kirstie, claims they have mistaken her identity - that she, in fact, is Lydia - their world comes crashing back down."


Thrillers are my favourite type of books to read at the moment, as I love their ability to leave me on the edge of my seat always wanting more, and S. K. Tremayne's The Ice Twins was no exception. Set on the fictional Torran Island, the narrative shifts throughout between parents, Sarah and Angus, as they face the reality that they may have mistaken which of their identical twin girls died in a tragic accident two years previously. 


What makes this book so chilling and dramatic for me is the setting, as it creates a strong sense of isolation and tension, further fuelled not only by the revelation of the surviving child, but also the interweaving storylines of the Moorcrofts declining relationship, as well as the family's adjustment to living on the lonely Scottish island. The writing is brilliant too, as Tremayne manages to convey quite sensitive and difficult topics at times without it feeling too heavy. 

My only negative thing to say about this book is that I didn't really find any of the characters particularly likeable, however, as the overall story was so secretive and twisting, I could easily overlook this, and it left me completely gripped until the very clever ending.  
 

Have you read this book? What did you think?

Megan


No comments:

Post a Comment